The Aryabhatta Knowledge University Act, 2008
11. Powers, duties and functions of the Vice-Chancellor
(1) The Vice-Chancellor shall be the Principal executive and academic officer of the University and shall exercise general supervision and control over the affairs of the University and give effect to the decisions of the authorities of the University.
(2) The Vice-Chancellor may, if he is of the opinion that immediate action is necessary on any matter, exercise any power conferred on any authority of the University by or under this Act and shall report to such authority at its next meeting the action taken by him on such matter:
Provided that such exercise of power shall be made only in emergent situations and in no case in respect of creation, and up gradation of posts and appointments thereto:
Provided further that if the authority concerned is of the opinion that such action ought not to have been taken, it may refer the matter to the Chancellor whose decision thereon shall be final:
Provided also that if any person in the service of the University who is aggrieved by the actions taken by the Vice-Chancellor under this sub-section shall have the right to appeal against such action to the Chancellor within three months from the date on which decision on such action is communicated to him and thereupon the Chancellor may confirm, modify or reverse the action taken by the Vice-Chancellor.
(3) The Vice-Chancellor, if he is of the opinion that any decision of any authority of the University is beyond the powers of the authority conferred by the provisions of this Act, the Statutes, the Ordinances or that any decision taken is not in the interest of the University, may ask the authority concerned to review its decision within sixty days of such decision and if the authority refuses to review the decision either in whole or in part or no decision is take by it withi the said period of sixty days, the matter shall be referred to the Chancellor whose decision thereon shall be final.
(4) The Vice-Chancellor shall exercise such other powers and perform such other duties as may be prescribed by the Statutes or the Ordinance.
(5) The Vice-Chancellor shall be the Chairman of the Executive Council, Finance Committee, Academic Council and the Planning Board of the University.